Allegory as Means of Reality Satirical Depiction in English Prose Fiction
The article deals with the study of the allegory embodiment peculiarity as a means of reality satirical representation in the English story “Tom Edison’s Shaggy Dog” by the most famous English writer of modern literature – Kurt Vonnegut. Allegory controls image means in the field of the characters’ system. A characteristic feature of the allegory use in the image of Sparky is its combination with the grotesque. This grotesque image is based on such a transformation that is predetermined by fantastic, implicitly existing in it opportunities to appear in any face. The image remains internally intact, but it seems to be divided from the outside, revealing a kind of polyvalence: Sparky appears in the reader’s imagination as an animal – an ordinary dog, Tom Edison’s clever and loyal friend, then as a man, a personality with a very high level of intelligence. The use of language play at certain levels, pragmatic in particular, is quite frequent in the analyzed story. The play on words is based on the hint. The investigated story by K. Vonnegut is a parable about the detrimental effect of human excessive talkativity. It reflects such a didactic idea: do not waste time on senseless talk; it is necessary to engage in useful social work. In modern literature a parable is one of the means of the writer’s expressing the moral and philosophical reflections that are often contrary to the generally accepted and dominant ideas in society. The prospect of further investigation is in a detailed study of comic, satirical in particular, techniques creating described above to examine the uniqueness and originality of the creative method of prose writers whose poetics is combined with comics.
2. Yemelyanova O. N. Allegoriya / O. N. Yemelyanova // Kultura russkoy rechi. Entsiklopedicheskiy slovar-spravochnik / pod red. L. Yu. Ivanova, A. P. Skovorodnikova, E. N. Shiryaeva. – M. : Flinta: Nauka, 2003. – S. 27–29.
3. Kuzmych O. Ya. Movni zasoby tvorennya komichnogo v ukrayinskiy prozi kintsya ХХ – pochatku ХХІ st. : dys. ... kand. philol. nauk : 10.02.01 / Olena Yaroslavivna Kuzmych. – Lutsk, 2015. – 217 s.
4. Moklytsya M. Alegorychny kod literatury, abo Reabilitatsiya alegoriyi tryvaye : monographiya / Maria Moklytsya. – K. : Kondor-Vydavnytstvo, 2017. – 292 s.
5. Moklytsya M. V. Vstup do literaturoznavstva : navch. posib. dlya stud. VNZ / M. V. Moklytsya. – Lutsk : VNU im. Lesi Ukrayinky, 2011. – 468 s.
6. Selivanova О. О. Suchasna lingvistyka. Terminologichna entsyklopediya / О. О. Selivanova. – Poltava : Dovkillya-К., 2006. – 716 s.
7. Vonnegut C. Palm Sunday. Welcome to the Monkey House / C. Vonnegut. – Random House UK, 1994. – 672 p.
8. Wales K. A Dictionary of Stylistics / Katie Wales. – London, N. Y. : Longman, 1990. – 504 p.
9. Electronny slovar ABBYY LINGVO 12 Multilingual Edition [Electronic Resource]. – Mode of Access : http://www.lingvo.ru
10. Crisp Peter. Allegory, blending, and possible situations. Metaphor and Symbol [Electronic Resource] / Peter Crisp. – Mode of Access : http://www.arts.uwaterloo.ca/~raha/793CA_web/Crisp(2005a).pdf